Current WIP(s)

Monday, February 8, 2010

Writing Woes blah blah blah

My writing really isn't up to snuff these days. It's a shame really because I would love to be able to devote more time to it. I really *need* to devote more time to it because these characters and scenes inside my head are soon going to drive me mad. Not only do I need time to get the story on paper, how the hell else is it going to be read if I don't, right? I also need to spend lots and lots of time working on the same issues that have been plaguing me in my writing.

I have a friend who's rather good at what they do, editing my work (and other people's work too), and I realize every time I send something to them that I get the same feedback every single time. Too much description, not enough description, passive voice passive voice passive voice (a total pain in my ass and something I can *not* stop doing for some damn reason), and a whole list of other problems I'd rather not admit.
The point? I need to improve my writing. So what? Big deal. Lots of writers need to do that. Some of them aren't willing to admit it, but I am. I *know* I need a whole lot of improvement, but here's my issue. My damn brain doesn't seem to want to absorb the information I receive from my "editor". If it did, I wouldn't still be having these problems, right? So what do I do? I research. What else? Try and figure out different ways for me to overcome these faults and actually do something to improve my writing rather than just bitching about it. Problem is, nothing is working.

So what do I do? Not give up or give in, that's for damn sure. Just keep on truckin as they say. I have to at least try and keep writing or I'll feel off. At this point I'm resigned to the fact that I'll probably never be published. And there's so many reasons for that other than the obvious one that for now I'm ok with it. I can't expect people to read my stories if I don't even like the way they are written. And if they can't get past the editing process, then there really is no hope at all. But giving up is not something I do....EVER! I'm far too obsessive to let something go. Particularly something that I enjoy this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment