Current WIP(s)

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Major Renovation

I've done a major revamp on my current WIP....losing 3/4 of my work in the process, but still it was necessary. I've added a word tracker to the top of the page so that I can keep myself up to date on how well, or badly, I'm devoting myself to my writing.

This is why I don't edit my own work for the most part. But here's the thing. I was laying here this afternoon with my notebook in my lap, staring at the ceiling and brainstorming about where I was going next in my book (I like to brainstorm but if the book takes me in another direction while I'm writing it, I just let it happen) when it hit me. In order to move forward, I had to go back. There were things about the book that have been bothering me for a while now so I wanted to go back and take care of them, then see if I can manage to move forward from there.

The current word count for my book, after all the slicing and dicing I did, is at 7,493. I just hope this time it works out better for me than my last attempt. I'm really loving this story. And especially loving the little bits I'm adding to enhance the characters. I felt it was necessary as the first draft didn't do that as well as it should have. So, back to it.....

1 comment:

  1. I hate it too when you have to go back and cut a lot of stuff from your MS. I am currently in the progress of doing the same thing. My book started out in one direction and now well, let's just say maybe I should start over and pull in various parts into the new revision. I'm only about 5,000 words into it, but those 5,000 words were hard work. Best of luck to you on your book.